Friday, February 10, 2006

Feist and Jason Collett

at Black Cat, 2/8/2006

Hooray! There's a decent review of the show at DCist, so that saves me some time...

They missed Jason Collett's set, so I'll add a bit about that:
He's a good singer (kind of a mix of Dylan, back when he could sing, and M.Ward with a few less marbles in the mouth). His band was quite good, and I suspect his new record is pretty solid although I haven't heard it yet. The style seemed to me like alt-country / indie rock, but more on the alt-country side. He'd make a perfect opening act for Lucinda Williams. During the last song, he un-ironically invoked The Boss, quoting the refrain of "Prove it All Night" in the midst of his own song. Curious. At several points, he took advantage of the Broken Social Scene "guitar orchestra" effect (five people on stage playing guitars, playing pretty much the same thing) - which created a nice wall-of-sound sorta thing. The poor man's alt-country Glenn Branca perhaps.

Note to extremely tall latecomers who weren't even interested in the show: please don't stand in front of me, or Cameron. It should be self-evident, but she's kinda small and can't see past you! And niether can I.

No comments: