Friday, February 10, 2006

Cutest Puppy in the World, Insect Factory, Big Cats

at Black Cat, 2/5/2006

Big Cats played a very short set, hard to say much about it, other than I don't think I "got" it... maybe with a little more time I would've caught on, or things might have jelled a bit? Sean Peoples is such a driving force in the local indie/experimental/post-punk scene that I'm reluctant to post negative things about his work, since I wholeheartedly endorse what he's doing. So let's give 'em the benefit of the doubt and just leave it at "I was confused by their set."

Insect Factory was a pleasant surprise... they performed as a guitar/drum duo. Nice guitar textures and some good interaction between them. At times I wished the drummer either played much less, or much more intensely, instead of somewhere in the middle - but their set was promising (also really short).

Cutest Puppy seemed to have some troubles. Lots of feedback, and it looked like Layne was having a hard time with his microphone? Overall, not their best work - I think.

No comments: