Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Kallmeyer, Merella, Sebastian, Whitehead & Zook

at Sangha, 7/10/2006

Nice event. Wonderful that Ted Zook put together a benefit show for Sangha - they've donated space to host so many outstanding performances and events, it was nice to finally give a little something back...

Mark Merella is a genius drummer. Totally fantastic. Mike Sebastian, well, I'm a big fan... Mr. Whitehead is someone I hadn't heard before - played trumpet and various related horns, with great patience (he was great at sitting out when necessary) and has a great ear. His interactions with Mike (tenor sax and saxello) were wonderful. I've only heard Doug Kallmeyer once, with his group 302Acid. I had no idea he was such a good improviser. Ted's monster gizmo rig was very impressive, even though it wasn't functioning properly (so he said, I thought it sounded good).

No comments: