Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Beth Orton with Willy Mason

At 9:30 Club, 3/12/2006
(guest blogged by Cameron Mcphee)

Jon told me I could guest blog about this show because I was the one who “dragged” him to it. Ok, that is not actually how he put it, but I figure it’s only fair that he go to a few chick concerts with me since I am often the only "chick" in the room at some of his shows.

Actually, I think Patrick Foster wrote a really right-on review of the show in the Washington Post

I won’t try to repeat that. Bottom line, she really was fantastic. Cough or not, she not only has such a powerful voice, but I think she has a really unique sound. As the article hints at as well, the most striking thing about this show was that all of her new songs (from her latest album Comfort of Strangers) sounded even better live than they do on the CD. Honestly, as a lover of her older stuff, I had my doubts when I first heard this album, but after Sunday night, I have decided that these songs are at least as good, deep, and powerful as her older hits. Interestingly, I was... not disappointed... but under-whelmed by her acoustic renditions of her older stuff including two of my three all-time favorite Beth Orton songs, "Sugar Boy" and "Feel to Believe." Maybe it was because it just sounds so different without all the electronic mixing or maybe her new stuff coupled with her terrific back-up band just sounded so darn good. For the record my favorite new songs from the show had to be her opener, "Rectify" and "Safe in Your Arms."

Singer-songwriter Willy Mason opened in a duo performance with violist and singer Nina Violet. While I feel like his set was neither here nor there, I did learn one thing... If you recall from one of Jon’s previous show blogs, I think every band benefits from the deft use of the accordion. Well, it turns out the same is true for a well-played viola. It's just such a great sound and I think Mason and Violet take advantage of this fact very dexterously. Other than that, I think Jon and I agree that Mason doesn't really get the crowd's attention as an opening act. His songs are subtle and quiet and in most instances redundant. And the fact that I was continually distracted by the annoying woman at the bar below me, speaks to his inability to engage the crowd. Apparently Nina Violet has just released her first solo CD which I actually look forward to hearing. She has a very beautiful voice and is a great string player (I think she also plays the cello).

All in all, this show definitely re-vitalized my love of Beth Orton's music and I am glad she is not stagnant in her style, that she is allowing her music to grow with her.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The fact that a woman was talking says nothing about Willy Mason's ability to captivate an audience. It means that the woman talking is a self-absorbed moron who probably watches American Idol, and was there to see Beth Orton because one of her songs was in one of those shows that plays indie music nowadays. Unfortunately, not everyone goes to shows for the music, and a kid with a guitar is always going to be a tough opening act in a bigger venue like that. Listen to the KCRW performance from last week and then get back to me.