Sunday, February 05, 2006

Ethnic Heritage Ensemble

at Sangha, 2/4/2006

The Ethnic Heritage Ensemble, led by drummer Kahil El'Zabar, has performed in DC every February for the last five years. What a treat. I've been there for the last three and hope to be there for the next ones too...

I won't try to describe what happened, I'm sure I couldn't really give a sense for what this music does. But I will tell you my overall impression: yes... Yes... an overwhelming, life-affirming YES. This broken world is heading the right direction if four humans can join together and do what these folks did.

This show differed a bit from the last two performances of theirs that I heard. Things were more funk-driven, but that's maybe not the best term. The addition of trumpeter Corey Wilkes pushed the group towards the funk universe. He's an outrageous show-off, but that's not a criticism - given what he can do with a horn (or two, even) it's really something hearing him show off. I almost lost my girlfriend, but ultimately she decided he's not really her type... Anyway, he's got incredible chops (and be careful if you go hear him on a date)

The group was touring with a "special guest," guitarist Fareed Haque. I have one album of theirs which he's featured on, so I had high expectations going in... expectations which were met, exceeded, blown to pieces and shot out to the city limits. So this guy has incredible technique, but that's not ultimately what's special about his playing. He's got IDEAS. Beautiful, wonderful, from all over the world ideas.

And, as usual, Ernest Khabeer Dawkins gave several lessons / sermons on alto and tenor sax as well as accompanying other soloists with a variety of small percussion instruments (and on once occasion, accompanying Corey Wilkes' solo with two saxes at the same time).

And then there's Kahil El'Zabar... A true master musician and all around inspiring performer. I hope you have a chance to hear him (and this group) play live at some point. Don't miss it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

mmm...cory must realy have strong lips, huh? :-)